Third-placed Petter Solberg (Petter Solberg World Rally Team) has reportedly been stripped of his podium result after failing post-race scrutineering. THe Norwegian rally ace’s car was found to be underweight after the SS23/Power Stage, and the Citroën DS3 WRC was weighed in just four kilogrammes under the regulation 1200kg minimum limit.
Representatives of the Petter Solberg World Rally Team were given the opportunity to explain the discrepancy to the Event Stewards, but after deliberation the Stewards decided to exclude the car from the official results. It has been reported that the Solberg team has until 20h30hrs (CAT) tonight to appeal the decision.
HERE is the official news source of this shocking and disappointing news.
What this now means is that Mikko Hirvonen (Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team) is now tied with Sebastien Loeb (Citroën Total World Rally Team) on 196pts in the WRC Drivers’ World Rally Championship fight with just two rounds remaining. Will this be Mikko’s year?
Revised final positions:
01) S. Ogier/J. Ingrassia (Citroen DS3 WRC) – 03hr 06m 20.4s
02) D. Sordo/C. Del Barrio (MINI John Cooper Works WRC) + 6.3s
03) M. Hirvonen/J. Lehtinen (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 03m 26.6s
04) J-M. Latvala/M. Anttila (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 03m 30.3s
05) D. Kuipers/F. Miclotte (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 06m 42.0s
06) H. Solberg/I. Minor (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 07m 08.3s
07) M. Ostberg/J. Andersson (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 07m 58.3s
08) K. Block/A. Gelsomino (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 08m 25.5s
09) P. Campana/S. De Castelli (MINI John Cooper Works WRC) + 08m 38.7s
10) M. Wilson/S. Martin (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) + 10m 00.8s