Reigning South African Rally Champions Mark Cronje/Robin Houghton scored their third win of the season as Ford dominated the Volkswagen Rally, Round Four of the South African National Rally Championship which took place in and around Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape.
Cronje/Houghton, in the Ford Dealer Team Fiesta S2000, finished well clear of Jan Habig/Robert Paisley, in the Basil Read Ford Fiesta S2000, to pull ahead of the veteran former South African champions in the Championship standings. Only one point separated the two crews before this weekend’s event.
The two Ford crews dominated proceedings from start to finish, and there was to be little cheer for Volkswagen on the 31st edition of their own rally. Giniel de Villiers/Greg Godrich (Imperial Toyota Yaris S2000) finished third overall, with Team TOTAL’s Jean-Pierre Damseaux/Hilton Auffray in fourth and winning Class S2000 Challenge honours. Hergen Fekken/Pierre Arries (Volkswagen Sasolracing Polo S2000) was the first of the sponsor’s entries home in fifth place overall.
Clint Weston/Christof Snyders, third overnight in the Reef Tankers Citroen C2 R2 Max, secured a well-deserved Class S1600 victory ahead of Craig Trott/Janine Lourens (Team TOTAL Toyota RunX S1600) and Matthew Vacy-Lyle/Schalk van Heerden in Fragram Tools Toyota RunX S1600.
The next event on the South African Rally Championship calendar is the Gauteng Rally on 16 – 17 August. For a full report, read this coming week’s issue of HANDBRAKES & HAIRPINS.
Top Ten overall classification:
01) M. Cronje/R. Houghton (Ford) – 01h 47m 43.9s
02) J. Habig/R. Paisley (Ford) + 01m 24.1s
03) G. De Villiers/G. Godrich (Toyota) + 04m 25.4s
04) J-P. Damseaux/H. Auffray (Toyota) + 05m 24.0s
05) H. Fekken/P. Arries (Volkswagen) + 05m 44.4s
06) E. Kuun/D. Judd (Volkswagen) + 05m 46.0s
07) J. Gemmell/C. Swan (Toyota) + 07m 37.2s
08) M. Janse van Rensburg/R. Fourie (Volkswagen) + 09m 56.7s
09) N. Van der Westhuizen/S. Cilliers (Toyota) + 11m 40.3s
10) M. Moosa/A. Vermeulen (Toyota) + 11m 55.2s