After the drama that was the opening round of the 2017 WRC season, we can reflect on its amazing action and sheer driving skills. These drivers and co-drivers have once again proven they’re the best in motorsport.
To download, please click here: H&H Issue 336.
My new online home is hhrally.com. I’m getting into the swing of it and will be posting daily rally news and videos there. Bookmark it as a favourite ;-)
As always, please enjoy this week’s read.
Yours in Rallying,
The World Rally Championship takes centre stage as I revive this publication. I hope you enjoy this read. See you after WRC ADAC Rallye Deutschland!: https://goo.gl/W8UIgl.
As always, enjoy this week’s read!
Welcome to the latest edition of Handbrakes & Hairpins, a 16-page issue to bring you back into focus on the world of rallying: https://goo.gl/8Xqkm1.
As always, enjoy this week’s read!
We’re BACK! And, this week we’ve got a jam-packed issue of the latest WRC news, ERC’s Circuit of Ireland, a tribute to Petter Solberg’s WRC career, the heydays of Group B and more. 23 pages of rally news for free >> http://bit.ly/issue331.
Björn Waldegard was the 1979 World Rally Championship and winner of 16 WRC events in his four-decades long rally career that culminated in the 2011 East African Safari Classic Rally win in a Porsche 911. We pay tribute to this gentle giant in this week’s issue, as well as bringing you a full report from the FIA European Rally Championship’s Barum Czech Rally Zlin. We also feature the mighty impressive Tuthill Porsche 911 RGT machine that powered into the WRC’s history books at the ADAC Rallye Deutschland last week.
To download for FREE, click here: http://bit.ly/issue328.
A total of 121 crews have entered Round Eight of the FIA European Rally Championship (ERC), Barum Czech Rally Zlín. The huge turnout underlines the popularity of the ERC and the all-asphalt showcase, which takes place for a 44th time from 29-31 August.
Craig Breen is the top seed in a Peugeot Rally Academy 208 T16 R5 and is one of 24 drivers competing for honours in the headlining RC2 category. Ott Tänak, who like Breen is an ERC event winner in 2014, is the second seed at the wheel of a Ford Fiesta R5. Esapekka Lappi, whose two wins in 2014 have propelled him to the top of the ERC standings, is seeded third for Skoda Motorsport.
Czech champion Václav Pech (MINI John Cooper Works S2000) is the fourth seed with Kevin Abbring next up for Peugeot Rally Academy. LOTOS Rally Team’s four-time Polish title winner Kajetan Kajetanowicz is seeded sixth on his first ERC start since mid-May. Sepp Wiegand (Skoda Fabia S2000) is the seventh seed with Bruno Magalhães seeded eighth on his first ERC start in a 208 T16.
Roman Kresta, who announced his retirement after finishing fifth in Zlín last season, will tackle his first full rally since calling time on his driving career and is seeded ninth in his self-run Fabia S2000. Irishman Robert Barrable is the tenth seed in a Fiesta R5.
The ERC Production Car Cup, ERC 2WD Championship, ERC Junior Championship and ERC Ladies’ Trophy are also big on numbers with the respective title leaders – Vitaliy Pushkar, Zoltán Bessenyey, Jan Černý and Ekaterina Stratieva all due to contest the 15-stage event.
The entry list for round eight of the FIA European Rally Championship, Barum Czech Rally Zlín, has been published and here are some of the key numbers:
• 121: Barum Czech Rally Zlín organisers have accepted entries from 121 crews for round eight of the 2014 ERC season.
• 16: Confirmation of Marco Cavigoli’s entry will mean the Italian will tackle his 16th Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 2003: Triple British champion Mark Higgins starts Barum Czech Rally Zlín for the first time since 2003.
• 25: A total of 25 different nations will be represented on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 1: Bruno Magalhães will make his first start in the ERC in a Peugeot 208 T16.
• 3: Roman Kresta, who will start his first full rally in 12 months after he reversed his decision to call time on his driving career, has won Barum Czech Rally Zlín three times. His new co-driver Petr Starý is a two-time winner of the event.
• 13: There will be 13 ERC Juniors competing on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 8: Barum Czech Rally Zlín will mark French ace Robert Consani’s eighth start in this year’s ERC.
• 3: All three R5 cars currently eligible for competition – Citroën DS3 R5, Ford Fiesta R5 and Peugeot 208 T16 – will be in action on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 2: Czech singer and actress Olga Lounová and actor David Suchařípa will bring the number of show business celebrities contesting Barum Czech Rally Zlín to two.
While a full recovery from the back injury sustained in a heavy landing during Finland’s World Rally Championship round last week is his current priority, Craig Breen’s focus is very much on achieving more FIA European Rally Championship success on Barum Czech Rally Zlín later this month.
Q: It’s an event you last tackled in 2011 but how tough is Barum Czech Rally Zlín?
CB: “It’s a very tough event but it’s similar to what I know from back home in Ireland. The roads are bumpy and quite changeable if it rains. The problem is the shiny Tarmac, which can become very slippery and therefore a big challenge.”
Continue reading Quick Cup of (Irish) Coffee