After the drama that was the opening round of the 2017 WRC season, we can reflect on its amazing action and sheer driving skills. These drivers and co-drivers have once again proven they’re the best in motorsport.
To download, please click here: H&H Issue 336.
My new online home is hhrally.com. I’m getting into the swing of it and will be posting daily rally news and videos there. Bookmark it as a favourite ;-)
As always, please enjoy this week’s read.
Yours in Rallying,
Welcome to the latest edition of Handbrakes & Hairpins, a 15-page issue featuring news from the WRC, the World RX and the South African National Rally Championship >> http://bit.ly/issue332.
As always, enjoy this week’s read!
We’re BACK! And, this week we’ve got a jam-packed issue of the latest WRC news, ERC’s Circuit of Ireland, a tribute to Petter Solberg’s WRC career, the heydays of Group B and more. 23 pages of rally news for free >> http://bit.ly/issue331.
Mikko Hirvonen’s announced his retirement. Prodrive’s launched a rally Volkswagen Golf VII for the Chinese Rally Championship. Hyundai Motorsport has signed Dani Sordo for another two seasons in the WRC. All is detailed over 23 pages of rally news in this week’s edition of HANDBRAKES & HAIRPINS’ free weekly eZine >>> http://bit.ly/issue330.
A total of 121 crews have entered Round Eight of the FIA European Rally Championship (ERC), Barum Czech Rally Zlín. The huge turnout underlines the popularity of the ERC and the all-asphalt showcase, which takes place for a 44th time from 29-31 August.
Craig Breen is the top seed in a Peugeot Rally Academy 208 T16 R5 and is one of 24 drivers competing for honours in the headlining RC2 category. Ott Tänak, who like Breen is an ERC event winner in 2014, is the second seed at the wheel of a Ford Fiesta R5. Esapekka Lappi, whose two wins in 2014 have propelled him to the top of the ERC standings, is seeded third for Skoda Motorsport.
Czech champion Václav Pech (MINI John Cooper Works S2000) is the fourth seed with Kevin Abbring next up for Peugeot Rally Academy. LOTOS Rally Team’s four-time Polish title winner Kajetan Kajetanowicz is seeded sixth on his first ERC start since mid-May. Sepp Wiegand (Skoda Fabia S2000) is the seventh seed with Bruno Magalhães seeded eighth on his first ERC start in a 208 T16.
Roman Kresta, who announced his retirement after finishing fifth in Zlín last season, will tackle his first full rally since calling time on his driving career and is seeded ninth in his self-run Fabia S2000. Irishman Robert Barrable is the tenth seed in a Fiesta R5.
The ERC Production Car Cup, ERC 2WD Championship, ERC Junior Championship and ERC Ladies’ Trophy are also big on numbers with the respective title leaders – Vitaliy Pushkar, Zoltán Bessenyey, Jan Černý and Ekaterina Stratieva all due to contest the 15-stage event.
The entry list for round eight of the FIA European Rally Championship, Barum Czech Rally Zlín, has been published and here are some of the key numbers:
• 121: Barum Czech Rally Zlín organisers have accepted entries from 121 crews for round eight of the 2014 ERC season.
• 16: Confirmation of Marco Cavigoli’s entry will mean the Italian will tackle his 16th Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 2003: Triple British champion Mark Higgins starts Barum Czech Rally Zlín for the first time since 2003.
• 25: A total of 25 different nations will be represented on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 1: Bruno Magalhães will make his first start in the ERC in a Peugeot 208 T16.
• 3: Roman Kresta, who will start his first full rally in 12 months after he reversed his decision to call time on his driving career, has won Barum Czech Rally Zlín three times. His new co-driver Petr Starý is a two-time winner of the event.
• 13: There will be 13 ERC Juniors competing on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 8: Barum Czech Rally Zlín will mark French ace Robert Consani’s eighth start in this year’s ERC.
• 3: All three R5 cars currently eligible for competition – Citroën DS3 R5, Ford Fiesta R5 and Peugeot 208 T16 – will be in action on Barum Czech Rally Zlín.
• 2: Czech singer and actress Olga Lounová and actor David Suchařípa will bring the number of show business celebrities contesting Barum Czech Rally Zlín to two.
While a full recovery from the back injury sustained in a heavy landing during Finland’s World Rally Championship round last week is his current priority, Craig Breen’s focus is very much on achieving more FIA European Rally Championship success on Barum Czech Rally Zlín later this month.
Q: It’s an event you last tackled in 2011 but how tough is Barum Czech Rally Zlín?
CB: “It’s a very tough event but it’s similar to what I know from back home in Ireland. The roads are bumpy and quite changeable if it rains. The problem is the shiny Tarmac, which can become very slippery and therefore a big challenge.”
Continue reading Quick Cup of (Irish) Coffee
With a busy international calendar of events, we bring you another feature-filled edition to feed your rally love. Inside you can read the latest on Andreas Mikkelsen’s “new” WRC co-driver, a look at the growth of the Rally America series, a preview of this weekend’s PMC Gauteng Rally in South Africa that is set to be a thriller, and we bring you a big review of the FIA ERC’s SATA Rally Azores. The beautiful island’s gravel roads gave competitors more than just a few headaches and kept rally fans on the edge of their seats with the nail-biting action. Another great exhibition of rally talent!
Download this week’s issue HERE: http://bit.ly/issue320